The Fall Review

From a post draft - Hey guys! Welcome back. :) How are you today? Okay, let's skip the formalities, I've got some news. So, I participated in Nanowrimo. If you don't know, this is a program where you write a certain amount of words in a month. I entered the young adult, and made my goal 5,000. And guess what? I made it! Anyway, now I'm on Wattpad and I've entered #JustWriteIt, which is a big leap from 5,000 - I have to write 50k in one month! Anyway, I've entered, and I'm working (Slowly). So I thought I'd link up my story for you to check out if you'd like. Thanks! Link To My Story !
Well, that draft is longgg gone. It contained some updates that were in all entirely, MEANINGLESS, so I just put in this interesting part. Anyway, I did NOT complete #JustWriteIt and now am just writing for fun! 10,000 words is around how much I have. Anyway, we're here today for a new review. The wonderful book of choice: The Fall

18241263

The Fall by Bethany Griffin

Plot: Madeline Usher is doomed.

She has spent her life fighting fate, and she thought she was succeeding. Until she woke up in a coffin.

Ushers die young. Ushers are cursed. Ushers can never leave their house, a house that haunts and is haunted, a house that almost seems to have a mind of its own. Madeline’s life—revealed through short bursts of memory—has hinged around her desperate plan to escape, to save herself and her brother. Her only chance lies in destroying the house.

In the end, can Madeline keep her own sanity and bring the house down? The Fall is a literary psychological thriller, reimagining Edgar Allan Poe’s classic The Fall of the House of Usher.
Rating; 5/5 Stars 
Review: 
My initial thoughts were this book was a little disappointing. Why? Because Griffin, the author, had decided to write this book in not just chapters, but time skips. So one chapter they might show a 16 year old her, but the next might show a 9 year old her. They tell you in the chapter title what age she is, but I have the habit of never reading those. I like the story, not the titles Confusing. Eventually, I got the hang of it, and the story was awesome. 
It all circulates around Madeline, who is possibly my favorite character in the story. Madeline, in the younger chapters, thinks that the house is 'her friend' and as she grows realizes the actual curse that had taken over her. Her terror increases slowly, and her personality is a mixture of curiosity, and the morbid horror at what she's going through. The other characters, especially the doctors, make me feel like that these people aren't normal, with their 'illness' and I don't feel I got much closure on that. It's not the main problem of course, but it opens up to more questions about what this curse is doing to the family.
Her brother was a unique character, by my standards. He didn't like the house and tried to convince Madeline to leave, when he knew the curse wouldn't allow her to leave for long. He just seemed too angry, and just... I didn't like him. But I honestly don't think the author wanted us to like him. I believe we were supposed to understand how he had changed from a child, his view of the house changing. 
The house, the house is something out of a nightmare. It almost has feelings, like the writer would add in "The house was going to be angry," or something along that line. But the main reason this surprised me so much? I have never read the original Usher House story by Edgar Allen Poe, so I walked into this, basically blindfolded. The way this book was written gave me chills. Scary and exciting, it kept me guessing through out the book. Besides the odd chapters, skipping between ages, I personally can't find anything else to complain about. This book has become one of my favorites! If I had rated the writing, it would have been 3 worlds, but the story was just so intriguing and fascinating,  I allowed for a 5. Overall,  I totally recommended this book. Now the only thing you do have to remember is to READ THE CHAPTER TITLES, just so you don't get the ages confused. Till next time...



In a scary little world, Natasha

Comments

Popular Posts